10 Ways to Embrace Fall
I know, I know, summer is barely in the ground and here I am telling you how to move on! It certainly didn’t feel terribly autumnal in Toronto this weekend as my darling cousin and I lounged around on a blanket in High Park, but fall is definitely on its way, and I for one, am determined not to let the winter blahs set in early! So, I’ve come up with a list of 10 ways to embrace fall:
1. Have a pumpkin carving party – If fall doesn’t leave you feeling nostalgic on its own, this ought to do the trick! Pro tip, if you eschew the usual grinning jack-o-lantern face for carving a lizard you perfected in 8th grade art class into your pumpkin, you’ll totally win the carving competition (even if said competition was not explicitly stated as part of the event. Ahem.)
2. Go apple picking – another classic. Bonus points if you can work in a hay ride! 3. Picnic under the changing leaves in the park. Just because summer’s over doesn’t mean we need to stop dining alfresco. Just throw on a sweater and gloat over the fact that the wasps who plagued your August picnics are probably dead by now!
4. Have a fall feast – Speaking of dining, why not throw on a pot of borscht, slow cook some lamb stew and have some pals over for an evening of hearty fare, tasty wine and
a game of drunken truth or dare…I mean, civilized discourse on current events! If you want to get really ambitious, try organizing one of those roaming dinner things where you eat a different course at each friend’s house before moving on to the next! 5, Go on a ghost walk – grab a thermos of boozy tea (a little sortilege whisky maple syrup liquer should do the trick) and someone you can cling to in fear and head out for some campy, guided-tour fun.
6. Explore a new neighbourhood or a nearby town – There’s nothing like a little road (or rail!) trip to take in some fall foliage.
7. Match your lipstick to the leaves – you don’t have to go on an all-out spending spree to update your fall wardrobe. I like the look of Bite’s Matte Creme Lip Crayon in Truffle, or if you’re feeling crafty, you could even make your own lip stain with beets for a sexy, chemical-free fall pout!
8. Thrift for Sweaters – Emma, my champion thrifter pal recently snagged the most stunningly soft 2-ply cashmere sweater the world has ever known from a thrift shop on Queen West. I will not rest until I find its equal. And hey, thrift shopping is economical and environmentally-friendly!
9. Cemetery Scavenger hunt- If you dare! I love strolling through a gorgeous cemetery, although I do get the heebie-jeebies every so often. Race to find historical figures, dates, images, symbols or statues. But if you come across your own name, get out of there because you’re obviously now living the plot of a horror movie.
10. Tour a winery – I hardly think I need to sell this one. Wine country just about anywhere is notoriously gorgeous. Bring home a case of something unique to take to parties all winter long! Just remember to bring a designated driver!
How do will you guys keep yourselves entertained this fall? Let me know in the comments!